Saturday 7 July 2012

Parisian Pictures Take Two!

This week's Saturday Snapshots don't need many words, because they're a collection of some of my favourite views of Paris, taken over the last two or three years. My parents were very fond of the city, and planned to celebrate their Diamond Wedding Anniversary there, but sadly Dad died a few months before their special holiday. Since then Mum and I go to Paris for a few days each May.  We have a wonderful time wandering around, and eating French bread and cheese, with huge bags of fresh fruit (the cherries are delicious), and I've taken lots of photographs, which I've been looking at because the weather is so awful, and they cheered me up. So here is a selection of some snaps, as a kind of postscript to the pictures of the Luxemburg Gardens which I posted on my return from our holiday. For more Saturday Snapshots see  Alice's blog http://athomewithbooks.net/

If no-one minds, I'm also posting this for the Paris in July challenge hosted by Karen from BookBath and Tamara from Thyme For Tea
The Eiffel Tower, designed and built by engineer Gustave Eiffel to provide the main entrance for the World's Fair in 1889, dominates the city and is incredibly beautiful.
Flowers on a market stall, stacked sideways on to make a wall of blooms.
Bread on another market stall. I love French bread, and the bakers and supermarkets bake twice a day, and you see men cycling home from work, clutching their fresh baguettes as they pedal furiously along the streets.
A boat on the Seine - I couldn't resist taking a picture, because the name is my surname!
YellowIrises in the Jardin Plantes. I love the colours.
More food - French food always looks so mouth-wateringly good.
My mother and I sat in this beautiful courtyard at the Mosque de Paris and drank sweet tea, in the shade of a fig tree, while the birds sang, and we watched men smoking with hookahs, like the Caterpillar in Alice, but I didn't like to take their photo, so I waited until they had gone!
The Flower Market, in the shadow of Notre Dame, on the Ile de la Cite, is one of the most wonderful spots in Paris - you can smell the flowers before you see them. It's a riot of colour and perfume, with all kinds of garden ornaments hanging from the roof and walls.
Notre Dame, perched on the edge of the Ile de la Cite, looks like a ship sailing along the river when photographed from the smaller, quieter Ile de St Louis.
Houseboats moored up on the River Seine.
The French enjoy exercising alongside the Seine on Sunday mornings, when the road is closed to traffic and everyone, from tiny tots to elderly pensioners, turns out to keep fit. Some do exercises holding on to the railings or trees, but mostly they run, jog, walk (often with their dogs), cycle or roller-skate. I think this is such a good idea and it looks such fun, and is very sociable because whole families and groups of friends trot along together, then they all go off for their lunch. It's such a fantastic idea to encourage people to exercise - I wish British towns would do the same. 
Shakespeare and Company, the iconic book shop, is not to be missed. You can browse inside for hours, even if you don't buy anything, and soak up the atmosphere.

47 comments:

  1. Oooh, thank you for taking me to Paris!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. It is such a wonderful city.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing such lovely photos! It was after reading your earlier post on your recent trip to Paris with the photos on the Jardin du Luxembourg that has made it on my must-do list when I am there in September. Now, I'll have to add the Flower Market to the list too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Michelle, that is so nice of you to say that. I'm not sure if the flower market is there every day - there is a bird market next to it, on Sundays, with birds, fish, rabbits, and all sorts of small furry creatures. I hope you enjoy Paris when you go.

      Delete
  3. Great pictures! They are very colorful and full of life :-) I've never been to Paris, so thanks for the little tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, if you ever get the chance to visit, then go - it is such a beautiful place, with masses to do and see, and you don't have to spend a fortune there.

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures. It's been so long since I visited Paris, should get around to going back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for kind comment Eva - I'm sure you would enjoy a return trip, and you'd be able to take some wonderful photos.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely Parisian tour! Thanks! I don't know what my favorite thing would be...flower carts, marketplace, bistros,...all of it?

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always my problem Laurel-Rain - each thing I see, I think this is the best... but I love sitting at a table outside a cafe, with a tea or coffee, and just watching the world go by...

      Delete
  6. That is such a poignant story about your father. I'm glad you and your mother take the time to travel there. I love all your photos. Are you doing Paris in July? Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paulita. It's a nice way to remember him, and we go in May because his birthday was in May. I am doing Paris in July, but I'm not sure if I've linked in correctly.

      Delete
  7. A lovely trip around Paris! My post is up http://anglersrest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/weekend-cooking-little-paris-kitchen-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Wish I was really in Paris, rather than a virtual tour - but I'm going to try the pear recipe on your blog.

      Delete
  8. Great pictures! One day I will visit Paris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The trouble is I snap away, and don't always remember to make notes about what I've taken, then when I look at the pictures I can't always remember where they were!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful collection of photos and memories! And that's a lovely tradition to share with your Mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eugenia. We get along so well together, and like the same sort of things, so it's a real treat to spend time together in such wonderful surroundings.

      Delete
  10. I love all of the market photos, and imagine that that would be one of my favorite parts if I visited. The exercising all together does sound very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first year we went together we stayed in a hotel where the market was in the street, right beneath our window - loads of stalls, all stacked with all kinds of food, and all of the most superb quality.

      Delete
  11. Oh, how I wish I were in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving all the Paris photos this Saturday... You have so many lovely shots and memories. :) Those flower stacks are gorgeous, and I must hit up Google maps to find out where Shakespeare and Co. is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I was very taken with the flower stacks, I've never seen the displayed like that in England. They were like a wall of colour.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the lovely tour. I haven't been to Paris yet and now I see what I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the kind of place which is exactly as you imagine it will be, and you can wander around, and sit and soak up the atmosphere.

      Delete
  14. How wonderful that you and your mom can visit there often! I hope to be able to visit one day. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our annual treat, and we come back happy and relaxed.

      Delete
  15. OH, NICE!! I love this lil' trip to Paris!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura for taking a look - glad you liked the pictures.

      Delete
  16. I've never been to Paris and so your pictures are like a little travelogue for me. Excellent and most interesting pictures. Love the view of the church that looks like an island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about photos of places in America and Canada, because I've not been to either country, and I'm never likely to. But I feel as if I'm there when I see other people's pictures - and I have to keep looking places up, to find out about them.

      Delete
  17. I have been to Paris, but those pictures look beautiful! It makes me want to go there even more, especially to see Shakespeare and Company!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry, I meant I have not been to Paris. Haha, was typing too fast I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the mistakes I make - I bash away on the keyboard as if I was still using an old manual typewriter, and the laptop does not like it one little bit... plus, for some reason the one I am using (mine broke and this is my younger daughter's old one) seems to have some kind of predictive text on, which I can't turn off, and what it predicts is not what I want to say!

      Delete
  19. How lovely! I've never been to Paris, but these photos make me want to go. :D I feel the same about the month I spent in Prague -- colors were brighter, food was fresher and better, and—praise God—reliable public transportation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things always seem nicer elsewhere - Paris Metro is very impressive. Easier to negotiate than the London Undergrou8nd and much, much cleaner - and it works out very cheap.

      Delete
  20. Fabulous photos Christine. Where is Shakespeare & Co? It looks well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a website http://shakespeareandcompany.com/ It's on the Left Bank, Rue de la Bucherie, right opposite Notre Dame (I think the nearest bridge across to the Ile de la Cite is the Petit Pont, but there are masses of bridges. Well worth a visit, even if you don't buy anything. We went to Cite metro station & walked round the flower market, then crossed to the Left Bank. You can get over to the Ile St Louis which is like stepping back in time.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for sharing your Paris photos. I envy that you live so close to France that you can make a trip there almost any time. I would have make a monthly visit or even weekend excusions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arti, all I need is a job to provide the money to get there!

      Delete
  22. I too took a picture of Shakespeare and Company while in Paris and posted it on my blog. Exciting to check out one of Hemingway's hangouts! Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the connections with the past in Paris - places where authors and painters lived and worked, and places that appear in novels, as well as the historical characters.

      Delete
  23. Such a wonderful post. It is just so unimaginable to me to just 'go over' to Paris. Oh, London. Or Amsterdam.
    I last went in 1971, and may post some pics of my photos from then. It was a lifetime ago, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, do post some of your pictures, it would be so interesting to look at them and see if things have changed - I went in the mid-70s, then didn't go again for around 30 years, and it was all exactly as I remembered

      Delete
  24. Such a lovely post. I love the markets of Paris too. I just read about having lunch at the Mosque, I'm even more keen to visit now that I've seen your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. The food at the inside restaurant in the Mosque is supposed to be really good, but we just sat and relaxed with our mint tea (served hot, and very sweet, in little glasses) in the court-yard.

      Delete